Establishment of the British Empire in India
- Last ruler among mighty Mughals – Aurangazeb.
- Last Mugha Emperor – Bahadur Shah Zafar.
- 1st European nationals to enter into India – Portuguese.
- East India Company was established in the year – 1600.
- During which British King / Queen’s reign East India Company was established? – Elizbeth – 1.
- Head office of the East India Company – London.
- Which Portuguese traveler discovered sea route to India –Vasco da Gama, in the year 1498.
- Which two countries fought among for the suzerainty over India – England and Portuguese?
- Orcot is located in North Tamilnadu.
- Anwaruddin, Nawab of Arcot and French forces fought in the year – 1764.
- To appoint Muzaffar Jung as the Nawab of Deccan, British took Machilipatnam and a part of Pandichery as a gift.
- Who appointed Muzaffar Jung as the Nawab of Deccan? – Dupleix, French Governor.
- Which Mughal Emperor accepted Robert Clive as the Governor of Bengal? – Shah Alam.
- The battle which set ground for the establishment of British rule in India – Battle of Plassey.
- Battle of Plassey took place on 23 June 1757.
- Battle of Plassey was fought by Robert Clive (British Governor) X Siraj ud Daula (Bengal Nawab.)
- These districts are called as Northern Circars – Kostal Districts across Bengal, Ordisha and Andhra, during British rule.
- The regional kings who fought against Britishers are – Tipu Sultan, Mahadji Scindia, Nanaphadnavis.
- The British officer to keep an eye on the Indian kings and Nawabs was – British Resident.
- Sepoys’ revolt started on 10 May 1857.
- Where the famous sepoys’ revolt was started? – Meerut Military cantonment.
- The sepoys’ revolt which took place even before Meerut Sepoys’ revolt was – Barrackpore Revolt, March 1857.
- Who the 1857 revolters proclaimed as the Emperor of India was – Bahadurshah-2. (Bahadur Shah Zafar,
- Bahadur Shah Zafar, the last Mughal emperor was imprisoned in Rangoon jail.
- Bahadur Shah Zafar died in – Rangoon jail.
- The British officer, who arrested Bahadur Shah -2, was Hudson.
- After which major incident Bitish Queen Victoria proclaimed that India should be ruled the native Indian rulers – 1857 Revolt.
- I.C.S. means – Indian Civil Service.
Served as Nizams’ Prime Minster from 1853 to 1883
|· Developed Hyderabad state.|
|· Established ‘Dar ul Uloom’ English medium School in Chadarghat, in 1855 – Salar Jung.|
|· Developed railways in Hyderabad State.|
|· Established City College, Deccan Engineering College, Madarsa-e-Aulia in 1870.|
|· Introduced judiciary in Hyderabad.|
- Immediate reason for 1857 revolt – Introducing greased cartridges. The grease 31. was made of cow and pig fat. (Beef and pork fat)
- The places where the sepoys’ revolt took place were – Aligarh, Moinpuri, Buland Shahar, Attak and Madhura.
- Important revolter who revolted against British in Hyderabad state was – Turrebaz Khan.
- Present day Koti Women’s college is once a British Residency.