Indian History in English for Gurukula TET DSC and other Exams
Indian History notes from school books
Emergence of Kingdoms and Republics
- The vast plain land in North India – Ganga Sind Plain.
- Important archaeological sites of Mahajanapada (Great Territorial Kingdoms) Period are…
|a. Delhi. b. Athranjikera c. Kaushambi (Near Allahabad)
d. Patna e. Ayodhya (Awad / Audh) f. Rajgir
- Important books written during Mahajanapadas –
|· Upanishads. Dharmasuthras,
· Dighanikaya, Majjimanikaya,
· History by Herodotus, the father of India.
· Writing of Strabo.
Get the full details of 16 Mahaajanapadas HERE
- The only Mahajanapada flourished in South India was – Assaka. The capital of Asmaka Mahaajanapada was Kotilingaala, Kareemnagar District.
- Gahapathi / Gruhapathi – The farmer who has own land. (During Mahajanapada period.)
- Barthuka – The servant who works in agriculture fields and at home. . (During Mahajanapada period.)
- Baaga – The tax paid by Gahapathi to the king.
- The Mahajanapada which flourished on the both sides of river Ganga was Magadha.
- The mines located at the southern part of Magadha – Iron ore mines.
- During whos reign Magadha expanded towards Orissa? – Mahapadma Nanda.
- Who is the son of Bimbisara? Ans: Ajathashathru.
- The republican kingdom located to the north of Magadha was – Vajji.
Mauryan Dynasty – Rulers.
- Chandraguptha Maurya – Founder of Mauryan dynasty. Chandraguptha Maurya over threw Dana Nanda to establish Mauryan Empire.
- Bindhusara – Son of Chandra Guptha Maurya.
- Ashoka – Son of Bindhusara.
- Expansion of Mauryan Empire –* North – Taxila * South – Karnataka* West – Afghanistan boarder. * East – Bengal
|Important cities in Mauryan Empire.
5. Chandraguptha Maurya is the first emperor in Indian sub continent.
6. Important sources for Maurya’s history are
- Arthashashtra by Kautilya * Indica by Megasthanese.
7. Chandraguptha Maurya’s minister – Kautilya.
8. Arthashastra is about – State craft (Administration).
9. The important city, which was a part of Mauryan empire, now which is not a part of India is – Taxila.
10. The city which was under the direct control of Mauryan Emperors – Pataliputra.
11. Only Magadhan city which was located in south India – Suvarnagiri.
12. Gold mines during Mauryan period were located in – Suvarnagiri.
13. The Mauryan city where foreign goods were available – Taxila.
14. 1st Indian Empire to communicated with people through inscriptions – Mauryan Empire.
15. 1st Indian king to get inscribed the inscriptions – Ashoka.
16. Most of the Ashokan inscriptions are in Brahmi script and Prakrit
17. Ancient name of Odisha – Kalinga.
18. Only king in the history to renounce war after victory – Ashoka.
19. The king who won battle of Kalinga – Ashoka.
20. How many people were died in battle of Kalinga – More than 1 lakh people.
21. How many people were died in battle of Kalinga – More than 1 lakh people.
22. How many years after coronation, Ashoka invaded on Kalinga – 8 years(261 B.C.)
23. ‘Damma’ is a Prakrit language word.
24. Sankrit quivalent word to the Prakrit word Dhamma is – Dharma.
25. Whose preachings inspired Ashoka – Gouthama Buddha.
26. The Government officers appointed by Ashoka for the expansion of Dhamma – Dhamma mahamathras.
27. To which foreign countries Ashoka sent Dhamma mahaamathras to spread Dhamma. –
Egypt Syria 3. Greece 4. Srilanka.
28. 1st king to establish veterinary hospitals – Ashoka.
29. The kingdom rose in Deccan on the ruins of Mauryan Empire – Satavahana Kingdom.
30. Satavahana kingdom stretched from river Narmada to Krishna Godavari delta.
31. Great Kings in Satavahana Kingdom –
* Gouthamiputhra Satakarni * Vashisthtaputhra Satakarni
* Yagnasri Satakarni.
- Founder of Saatavaahana dynasty – Srimukha / Simukha.
- The Telangaana places where Bhuddist – Sthupas, Vihaaraas and Chaithyas were found – Phanigiri, Nelakondapalli, Kondaapur, Dhoolikatta, Pedda Bankoor, Keesaragutta.
|Myakadhauni is a name of a place. A saatavaahana inscription is named after Mayakadhauni as it is found in Myakadhauni.
· Myakadhauni inscription is issued by – Satavaahanas.
· Myakadhauni inscription is about – Sri Pulomavi.
· Mayakadhauni is place located in Bellari District, Karnataka.
- The kingdom established on the ruins of Satavaahana Kingdom – Ekshvaku.
- Capital of Ekshvakus kings – Vijayapuri, Near Nagarjuna Sagar.
- Important ruler in Ekshvaku dynasty – Kshanthamoola, Veerapurusha datta.
- Ekshvakus claimed that they belong to Lord Rama’s blood line.
- Ekshvakus build a large Sthupa and Aaaraama in Nagarjuna konda.
- Greatest king in Kushana dynasty – Kanishka.
- Kanishka ascended the throne in the year – 78 A.D.
- Kushanas came to India from Aghanisthan.
- Shaka era was started in the year 78 A.D.
- How many years Shaka ear is left behind Christ era ? 78 Years.
- Kushana kingdom stretched from the boarder of Aghanistan and Pakistan to Madhura and Allahabad.
- Gupthas ruled from 320 A.D. to 550 A.D.
- Guptha’s empire stretched from
North – Delhi South – Madhyapradesh
East – Bihar West – Gujarath
- Important kings in Guptha’s empire –
- Chandraguptha – 1 Chandraguptha -2
- Skandaguptha Samudhraguptha\
- Puranas were written during – Guptha’s period.
- The religions patronized by Gupthas are – Vaishnava and Shaiva religions.
- Gupthas constructed temple to Vishun, Shiva and Durgamatha.
- The temples constructed by Gupthas are –
- Deogarh and Udayagiri in Madhyapradesh.
- Bitargaon and Eran in Uttarpradesh.
- Who erected Mehrauli Iron Pillar inscription in Delhi – Chandraguptha II.
- Satavahans ruled for 200 years. (from 271 BCE to 30 BCE.)
- Satavahanas traded with Romans.
- Satavahanas constructed Aaraamas and Viharas at Amaravathi, Bhattiprolu and Vadlamaanu.
- Only Mahaajanapada located in South India was Assaka / Asmaka.
- Capital of Asmaka was Kotilingaala, Kareemnagar District.
- 1st capital of Satavaahanas – Kotilingaala.
- The place where Satavaahanas and Ekshwakus’ coins were found – Kotilingaala.